• Home
  • Posts RSS
  • Comments RSS
  • Edit
Blue Orange Green Pink Purple

In my world

Nachos are a health food. 5 am doesn't exist except for sleeping. I always have exactly what I need to complete a recipe. I never overcook the meal. Breakfast can be eaten at anytime of the day. Dishes clean themselves. Morning breath is always minty and fresh. Work does not start until at least 11 am. Even when I'm wrong, it sounds right. Cars emit bubbles that smell like flowers. Cats are always cuddly. Dog poo instantly transforms into dirt. The weather is never under 32 degrees. Each beach has fancy sea shells to collect. Sisters never fight. My imperfectly perfect man has already found and adores me. This man loves to do laundry. My hair looks perfect right out of the shower. Everyone knows I'm clever. Extra cheese is not asked, it's assumed.

With reckless abandon

Do you ever have those moments when you just want to do something crazy or life changing? To jump into something without analyzing the rights and wrongs? Without weighing the goods against the bads?

I had one of those last night. And for a brief moment I wanted to throw it all to the wind and be without caution.

Naturally I talked myself out of it. Life changing (even crazy) should normally be avoided past 11 pm. Too many girly emotions involved. And it was almost 1.

I wonder, do these moments come out of desperation, or just boredom? Does my life need a little changing? Or am I simply in a doldrum that will pass? Surely new adventurous waters are just around the corner, if I would just wade it out. (In my head a hear repeat that warn-out phrase "This too shall pass ...") In all likelihood I simply shouldn't stay up late enough to dream up these crazy ambitions.

I am left admitting to myself that almost every time this has happened I thank myself for not being so careless as to make a life changing decision on the whim. But perhaps, just perhaps, if I had allowed myself a few more of those along the way, I might have a few more adventures under my belt. I mean life changing isn't always bad, and those that are are almost always recoup able.

I can't help but wonder if it is that I am not brave, or if it is that I am plain sensible. Perhaps there are few things in life that can be approached with such heedless care of consequence.

I hope, that when the right moments come, I am brave enough to recognize and embrace them with just the right amount of reckless abandon.

Last night, was not one of them. ;)
Read More 6 comments | Posted by erin edit post

6 comments

  1. Dan on 12:02 AM, January 19, 2010

    "...just the right amount of reckless abandon." That's a silly sentence. I'm sure you can figure out why. :P

    I'm really curious about what this crazy, life-altering decision could have been. (Maybe tomorrow's blog?) I rarely have such opportunities. Or, like you, I am too sensible to do something so crazy.

    The usual time for these decisions is late at night, though. It's when our sensibilities are as drowsy as our eyes, and our minds are more active, probably since our senses are on stand-by.

     
  2. Emily on 12:06 AM, January 19, 2010

    if the crazy thought is to throw away everything and go on an impromptu trip with a sister... I say do it (and call even if it's one a.m.).

    You do take crazy leaps and throw yourself into life, I think you just don't realize it because you talked yourself into thinking it was reasonalbe. and I love you all the more for it.

     
  3. M on 9:15 AM, January 19, 2010

    I think Em's right. I mean, following your love to Alaska!?! That was embracing your life at the time. And most of us thought you were crazy. :) (In a good way, of course.) How about giving up your relatively comfortable life to pursue your education and long-term career? That takes serious guts and a willingness to take risks.

    But I do agree that most of these decisions should be made in the light of day(s). Love you!

     
  4. Viewtiful_Justin on 9:59 AM, January 19, 2010

    I suppose it depends on the situation. I've wanted to quit my jobwith reckless abandon 4 times TODAY! But I don't. That's sensibility.

    I'd say impulsive spending where the gains outweigh the cost (trips, love, etc.) are always worth it.

     
  5. Chad on 11:30 AM, January 19, 2010

    When this fog lifts I bet you'll find the New Adventurous Waters Just Around the Corner still have a thick layer of ice over them. :)

    Em&M obviously know you well enough to agree that you DID take the time to weigh the pros and cons before choosing against this mystery opportunity/bad idea.

    I'm glad you and Dan have this competition going on. Hopefully more of his followers start commenting as it gives me more to think on during "drive time".

    So...@ M and V_J... I, um, safely chose not to comment on Erin's Yoga vs. Catholic Faith topic, but I'm sure glad you two did!

     
  6. erin on 1:21 PM, January 20, 2010

    It is not a silly sentence Dan.

    Chad how is that supposed to be helfpul? Ahoy! Ice covered waters ahead!

    Thanks Megan and Emily. You guys are always so encouraging. ;)

     


Post a Comment
Newer Post Older Post Home

Followers

polaroid pages~

word captured, satisfaction guaranteed:
    • I live, I laugh, I cry, I dance, I dream.


  • Blog Archive

    • ► 2023 (2)
      • ► March (2)
    • ► 2013 (10)
      • ► April (3)
      • ► January (7)
    • ► 2012 (2)
      • ► October (1)
      • ► July (1)
    • ► 2011 (36)
      • ► September (1)
      • ► August (1)
      • ► July (2)
      • ► June (1)
      • ► May (1)
      • ► April (5)
      • ► March (11)
      • ► February (9)
      • ► January (5)
    • ▼ 2010 (132)
      • ► November (5)
      • ► October (7)
      • ► September (8)
      • ► August (9)
      • ► July (11)
      • ► June (14)
      • ► May (11)
      • ► April (3)
      • ► March (14)
      • ► February (24)
      • ▼ January (26)
        • How far
        • Well that didn't last very long ...
        • Two-fer Tuesday
        • The truth is ...
        • Oh Monday ...
        • Pick me up buttercup
        • The good's, the bad's, the ugly's
        • Sometimes, a girl just has to know how special she...
        • Wordless Wednesday
        • Last night I did not brush my teeth.
        • With reckless abandon
        • Recipe for disaster
        • When it comes to Jelly Bellys, anything is worth t...
        • Thankful Thursdays
        • Wordless Wednesday
        • Truthful Tuesdays
        • Moody Monday
        • Fancy Schmancy
        • Yoga, yoga, yoga.
        • Namaste
        • D to the A to the N
        • ::slap:: ::slap:: I challenge you to a duel!
        • Ok, ok. I started it.
        • Dear Mom
        • Year in a Word
        • I love potatoes.
    • ► 2009 (91)
      • ► December (2)
      • ► November (5)
      • ► October (6)
      • ► September (3)
      • ► August (5)
      • ► July (3)
      • ► June (9)
      • ► May (8)
      • ► April (14)
      • ► March (2)
      • ► February (16)
      • ► January (18)
    • ► 2008 (61)
      • ► December (7)
      • ► November (15)
      • ► October (3)
      • ► June (1)
      • ► May (2)
      • ► April (3)
      • ► March (7)
      • ► February (11)
      • ► January (12)
    • ► 2007 (110)
      • ► December (5)
      • ► November (18)
      • ► October (14)
      • ► September (1)
      • ► August (11)
      • ► July (38)
      • ► June (23)
    • ► 2006 (27)
      • ► December (1)
      • ► November (26)

    I have bursts of being a lady, but they don't last long.

    Bloggedy Blogs

    • Twinner
    • Lego-me-Mego
    • Kit Kat
    • My AK girl
    • Aunt G
    • Bubba
    • IL Flavor

    Favorite Quotes:

    "After all, if it were Cleverness that counted most, Rabbit would be Number One, instead of that Bear. But that's not the way things work."
    ~ The Tao of Pooh

    "ASAP. Whatever that means. It must mean, 'Act swiftly awesome pacaderm!'"
    ~ Dr. Seuss

    "Sometimes, when I laugh, my boogers come out a little bit."
    ~ My niece Gilly

    Labels

    • All the other stuff (23)
    • Free Friday (17)
    • I'm funnier than you think I am (16)
    • Little notes (21)
    • Moody Monday (5)
    • Not Me Monday (13)
    • NRS (8)
    • Poet me this (38)
    • Thankful Thursdays (16)
    • Truthful Tuesdays (19)
    • Wordless Wednesday (17)

    Search This Blog

  • Search






    • Home
    • Posts RSS
    • Comments RSS
    • Edit

    © Copyright Polaroid Pages. All rights reserved.
    Designed by FTL Wordpress Themes | Bloggerized by FalconHive.com
    brought to you by Smashing Magazine

    Back to Top